Organized in 1892 and incorporated in 1909, the Woman's Literary Union of Androscoggin County is a 501c3 non profit organization whose mission is the intellectual, cultural and educational advancement of its members and the community, and to preserve the Foss Mansion.
The Foss Mansion
Built in 1914-1917, the Horatio Foss Mansion is a mix of Georgian revival and Spanish influence.
Architects Eugene J. Gibbs and Addison Pulsifer designed the building for Horatio G. Foss, owner of Dingley, Foss & Company, and his wife, Ella May Fletcher Foss, both Maine natives. Construction began in 1914 on the site of another landmark home, originally known as the Pickard Home and later the Pickard-Briggs Home; the property was sold by Samuel Pickard, son-in-law of Squire Edward Little. The tearing down and clearing of that property contributed to the three years it took to complete the Foss home in 1917.
The mansion was bequeathed to the union by Ella Foss in 1941, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The mansion is available for rentals. Please see our rental page, or contact us.
The Horatio Foss Mansion
The Woman's Literary Union
The Woman's Literary Union of Androscoggin County was organized in 1892, part of the nationwide movement of the age of the 'new woman.' This local chapter of the WLU was incorporated in 1902 and belonged to the Maine Federation of Women's Clubs. In 1915 and 1916, members of the WLU contributed to two Maine history books compiled by Maine Club Women and published by the Lewiston Journal Company.
The WLU owned and met in the Squire Edward Little House on Main Street up until 1941, when they were given the Horatio Foss Mansion by bequest of WLU member Ella Foss.
Really. Ask us anything.